MIRACLE FIELD BUDDY
This volunteer role is for a Miracle Field Buddy. A Miracle Field is a universally accessible soft surface baseball diamond that offers athletes of all ages with a cognitive or physical disability a safe and welcoming place to play baseball without barriers. The rubberized surface of the 115’ diamond accommodates wheelchairs and assistive devices while helping to prevent injuries. In a Miracle Field game, each athlete is offered a community Buddy, someone who assists athletes on the field as they bat, run the bases and field the ball, allowing parents and caretakers to cheer from the bleachers and enjoy the game. In a Miracle League game, everyone bats, everyone scores and everyone wins! Below is a description of what it entails to be a Buddy.
Being a Miracle Field Buddy is a rewarding experience which puts you directly on the Miracle League diamond. It give you the opportunity to work one-on-one with a player. Your commitment to the player enables him or her to play the great game of baseball in a team environment, something that many our players have never had the opportunity to experience. Each player bats every inning and bats until they hit the ball. There are no outs and every player scores a run.
Role of a Buddy:
- To protect the Miracle League player at all times. (E.g. if a ball is coming at a player at a high rate of speed, the Buddy should step in front of the player).
- A Buddy should provide encouragement and show enthusiasm for the player’s efforts.
- Assist the player, according to the player’s needs, to bat, run, etc., but still giving the player as much freedom as possible to play his/her own game.
- Be a good spirit with enthusiasm, a good attitude and motivate the players.
- Talk to your player and get them involved.
Duties of a Buddy:
- Arrive at the field 30 minutes prior to game time. We will provide some background information on your buddy and allow for some warm-up time.
- Wear your Buddy shirt! We will provide these at check-in.
- Demonstrate high morals and integrity on and off the field.
- Buddies must be at least 12 years of age or older and are required to sign a waiver form along with watching a short Buddy video available via YouTube
- Buddies must always face the play to ensure the safety of their player
- Use of cell phones on the field is prohibited
Age Minimum (with Adult): 12+, Minimum Age:12+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: